How to ride an electric scooter for the first time: The ultimate guide to riding an electric scooter for beginners
There is a first time for everything. Riding an electric scooter is an easy thing to do but beginners always fail to adhere to some simple guidelines which make riding an electric scooter for the first time a bit difficult. How to ride an electric scooter for the first time: The ultimate guide in riding an electric scooter for beginners will teach you the best way to ride an electric scooter. These guidelines will provide a way of making learning fun for both beginners and professionals and at the same time keep them safe.
Safety gears to put on when riding an electric scooter
Just like every mode of transport on the road, the rider must have some safety gears that will protect him/her from injury during accidents. As such, your safety must be your priority especially when you are a beginner. To protect yourself from injuries during an accident, I will recommend you to put on these safety gear.
LED Helmet– It protects the head from injuries during an accident. This type of helmet makes other users of the road see you clearly at night when the light of your scooter is faulty or the light in the environment is dim. This is due to the Light Emitting Diode (LED) on the helmet.
Elbow pads– These are safety gears that shield the elbows from injuries.
Knee pads– Knee pads reduce the impact of accidents on the knee.
Tailbone protector– It safeguards the tailbone during a crash.
Biker gloves– Good biker gloves will keep hands dry by soaking sweat to keep a firm grasp on the handlebars.
Goggles– These prevent dust and other particles from entering the eye. Others also wear goggles to reduce the amount of sunlight that will go into their eyes during riding.
Protector jacket- This protects the upper body of the rider during a fall.
Reflector jackets- This is very important when riding at night. It reflects light allowing you to be seen at night.
Step-by-step guide on riding an electric scooter
- Put on your protective gears- As I explained earlier. These gears safety or protective gears protect and reduces the impact of injuries.
- Make sure the electric scooter is fully charged– This will allow you to practice for a long time.
- Unfold the electric scooter- Most modern electric scooters can be folded. You can simply unfold it by unlocking it from the hook on the fender liner of the rear wheel. Raise the lever straight, and finally lock it with the latch.
- Place the electric scooter on a flat and smooth rood- This will allow you to learn faster as there will be no or fewer hindrances.
- Lift the kickstand with your foot- Hold the handlebars of the scooter when lifting the kickstand. Lifting the kickstand from the ground will allow smooth movement as there will be no obstruction from the kickstand scratching or piercing the ground.
- Turn on the electric scooter- Press the power button once to turn on the electric scooter. You will hear a beep to show that your electric scooter is on.
- Check the headlight and brakes- The headlight can be turned on by pressing the power button once the electric scooter has been turned on. The brakes can also be checked by pressing the brake lever gently. The taillights will be on to show that the brakes are working perfectly.
- Turn on ECO mode- As a beginner, this is very important. Press the power button twice in quick succession to activate ECO mode. The ECO mode limits your top speed. To deactivate the ECO mode, press the power button twice in quick succession again.
- Kick push– Grasp the handlebars of the electric scooter firmly and place your weak feet on the board. Kick-push with your strong foot to start moving the electric scooter.
- Acceleration– How do you now increase the speed of the electric scooter? Push the throttle down gently to accelerate your electric scooter.
- Braking- Squeeze the breaks gently to decrease the speed before stopping eventually
- Turn the handlebars gently- You cannot move straight forever. Gently turn the handlebar to the left when you want to move left and turn right when you want to move to the right. This will allow you to meander your way through the city successfully.
- Braking- Squeeze the brakes gently to decrease the speed before stopping eventually.
- Turning off- To turn off the electric scooter, press and hold the power button.
- Folding- Fold the electric scooter by unlocking the latch that holds the lever and pushing it down till the handlebars reach the rear tire. Lock with the hook on the fender liner of the rear tire.
Dos and Don’ts of riding an electric scooter
- Always wear your protective gear. As you already know, it will reduce the impact of an accident.
- Never exceed the weight limit of the electric scooter. It will limit your speed.
- Desist from using your mobile phones when riding.
- Obey road regulations.
- As a new beginner, always use the ECO mode. This will limit your speed and save you from harsh falls.
- Avoid riding an electric scooter in the rain. The electrical components of the scooter can get damaged when rain falls on it for a while. Again, riding an electric scooter in the rain is prone to accidents as roads become very slippery. Read on the hoverboard attachment seats.
- Always make sure the brakes and light are working before you take off.
- Put on your lights when driving at night.
- As a beginner, practice on an open and smooth road surface.
- Allow the battery to cool down after charging before riding the electric scooter. This will prevent overheating of the battery.
All new riders are nervous. It is ok to do mistakes. But how will you overcome the nervousness and correct your mistakes? As the popular saying goes, ‘Practice makes a man perfect. Consistency is the key to helping you build your confidence and correct your mistakes. Doing this will help you avoid simple mistakes that can cause accidents.
With this how-to ride an electric scooter for the first time: The ultimate guide in riding an electric scooter for beginners, any new beginner will never have a problem learning how to ride an electric scooter for the first time. Learning from these guidelines to ride an electric scooter will not only be fun but also, keep you safe from harm’s way. You are gradually on your way to becoming a pro.