Detailed guidelines on how to remove built-in over-the-range microwaves
Microwaves came to ease the burden of putting on a gas or going through a vigorous process of using charcoal to heat food. Some may say it is expensive and incurs additional bills to the house but in the long run, it is cost-effective. One of the main reasons why people got accustomed to the use of built-in microwaves is that it frees up space, unlike the table-top microwave. Like all machines, the built-in microwaves may grow fault, and removing it becomes a problem. This blog will give you detailed guidelines on how best to remove built-in over-the-range microwaves.
How to remove your built-in microwaves
- Wear your protective apparel
Many will say this is of no importance but you must know that you are handling electrical gadgets and anything can happen. Put on your overalls to prevent staining your shirt. Put on insulating gloves to resist any electrical shock and prevent bruising your palm from carrying the microwave.
- Turn power-off
This is an essential step people always tend to forget. How do you go by this? Because this is a built-in microwave, the power supply of the built-in microwave may be outside with the mains. Put it off, come inside and unplug the cable from the outlet.
- Remove the turntable and any rack in the microwave.
Some microwaves can be quite heavy. Removing turntables, racks or any objects you have stored in the built-in microwave will make it less heavy when it is being removed. Again, the removal of such things will prevent them from breaking since they may slip out when the microwave is being carried from the top.
- Remove grease plates
Most built-in microwaves are over-the-counter. It is mostly above the stove and screwed to the cabinet above the microwave. Many people always think of where the vapor and smoke from the food they cook pass, It is trapped by grease plates attached to the bottom of the built-in microwave. Removal of grease plates from the bottom of the microwave will prevent you from staining your dress or working gear.
- Remove the stove or place a blanket over it
Some of the stoves beneath the microwave are movable. If it is, gently pull it away from the wall to provide more room for you to be able to remove your built-in microwave. When it is fixed, cover it with a blanket to prevent anything from falling on the stove.
- Unscrew the screws
Now all is set to remove the built-in microwave. As I said earlier, the microwave is held by screws and fastened to the cabinet above to hold it over the stove. Open the cabinet and start unscrewing. Some microwaves can be quite heavy so you will need help at this juncture. Allow your partner to hold the microwave while you unscrew it. Because of how tight the screws have been fastened to the cabinet, it is advisable to use a cordless drill to unscrew them. After removing one screw, alert your partner to hold on to the microwave as it can fall at any time.
- Removal of the built-in microwave
Now the screws are no longer holding the microwave to the cabinet. Gently lower, the top part of the microwave to make it lean forward. This will help you unhook it easily from the wall mount. Now raise the microwave from the wall mount and you are done. While removing the microwave, remove the cable from the top cabinet by gently pulling it out. The built-in over-the-counter microwave has been successfully removed.
- Remove the wall mount
The built-in over-the-counter microwave has successfully been removed. You will see that it is held by a mount screwed to the wall like that of a TV. Unscrew it with the help of the drill. Clean and remove dirt at the corners beneath the cabinet.
What will trigger the removal of a built-in microwave
Built-in microwaves, just like any electrical appliance will lose their effectiveness as it grows older. How will you know or tell it has lost its effectiveness? The next paragraph will highlight some signs which allow you to remove your built-n microwave.
A change in sound
When the built-in microwave has been set up to heat food, the only sound it produces is a gentle low hum that will not be heard when you are far from the microwave. When a sound other than the gentle hum is heard, the first thing you have to do is to check if the turntable is properly fitted into the microwave or if the fan blades are loose. When these things are checked and they are alright or it has been fixed and a sound other than the gentle hum is heard, this is a clear indication that the built-in microwave must be removed. These sounds can be so loud that you may even think you are grinding something or a rattling sound from an accelerating vehicle.
Food is not heated well
Modern built-in microwaves have buttons that can be used to set up a time for the food to heat up. The microwave automatically goes off when the time is due. Doing this will allow you to know the duration at which foods with different temperatures can be heated. Again, setting the duration for foods to heat will let you when the normal time for heating your usual food is taking longer than normal. You will notice that because the food will not be well heated as it is supposed to be. Once this happens, you should immediately remove the built-in microwave and call in an expert to assist you.
Fume, a flicker or burning odor
This may be dangerous among the reasons that will trigger the removal of the built-in microwaves. Once you smell a burning odor from the microwave, do not even wait for a second. Quickly put the power off and unplug it from the outlet. The same thing must be done when you see a fume or a flicker. This may be due to electrical faults and touching the microwave will be disastrous. This is a principal indication that the built-in microwave needs to be removed as soon as possible.
The knobs and buttons are malfunctioning
The only way you can control the built-in microwave is via the buttons and knobs. Why should I continue using them when it is malfunctioning? Once you press the buttons and it is not responding, do not put any food into it thinking it may work. What if you put it inside and you are not able to remove the microwave due to malfunctioning buttons. Just imagine the foul small it will give off when it has been there for some time. Sometimes it may be that the buttons are covered with dust, oil, or water that is reducing their sensitivity to touch. Make sure you have thoroughly cleaned the buttons and try pressing again. Once you clean and there is no change, gently remove the built-in microwave.
The door is not tightly closed
Food is heated through radiation. It needs an enclosed environment to provide a constant temperature to keep the food heated. A loose door or a crack in the door will allow cool air to enter the microwave that will make the microwave run faster to clear the cool air and maintain temperature. This will incur additional electricity bills and decrease the lifespan of the built-in microwave. The microwave should be removed once this problem is seen.
The Lifespan of the built-in microwave has been exceeded
As a machine, it may not show the aforementioned faults but it has a lifespan. Most built-in microwaves can be used effectively for about 10 years. That is a decade. Although it may still be working properly, new models have been created in the space of 10 years as technology is always advancing. This new model will have new features that will make doing things easier and faster. It will also prove to be energy efficient.
Shaky built-in microwave
You will recall that I said built-in microwaves are fastened to cabinets at the top and hooked to a wall mount. Sometimes the screws can be lost which will make the screws shaky when it is working. If you notice it is shaking, check the screws at the top of the microwave in the cabinet. If it has been screwed firmly, the fault may be from the wall mount. This call for immediate action because the built-in microwave may fall if food is placed in it. The microwave should be gently removed to help fix the wall mount properly. This should also trigger you to remove your built-in microwaves.
When it becomes dirty
Food residues may be left inside the built-in microwave. You cannot wash it thoroughly when it is up there connected to the outlet. It needs to be removed to allow proper washing and prevent the growth of microorganisms in the microwave.
Should a removed built-in microwave be repaired or replaced?
When a built-in microwave is repaired, the chances of getting a quality spare part are very low. What if you do not have any shop that sells spare parts for the brand of your microwave near you. This means that you will have to get it online which will require additional expenses to transport the spare parts and pay for workmanship. The appropriate thing is to buy a new microwave to be fixed.
With these simplified and detailed guidelines on how to remove built-in microwaves, you can remove the microwave with less stress. You can do this without calling experts to do this and later save the money which would have been used to pay them. Read on how to operate a portable air conditioner.